Tuesday Tunes - Can't Hold Us

Song: Can't Hold Us
Artist: Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
Album: The Heist
BPM: 146

You are going to think I have a think for white rappers, but the love of this song has nothing to do with the genre and or his skin color. It has everything to do with the words. 

First he welcomes you buy saying, "Let's Go!" I think that is every runner's mantra. As soon as the beat starts and those words drop, my pace picks up. It helps that the BPM is higher than most of the songs on my list. 

Then the line "Looking for a better way to get up out of bed" speaks so directly to me and my struggle with fibro. There have been so many days that getting out of bed was hell. Until I could stumble around and get some ibuprofen in me or later Lyrica, the pain was horrible. This song reminds me that I need to keep moving so that I have that better way to get out of bed.

The next line that always makes me smile is "I grew up, really wanted gold fronts, but that what you get when Wu Tang raised you." I have no idea why this makes me smile, but it does. Maybe the reference to the teeth? No matter how much pain I am in, that line plays, I am smiling. 

I don't really associate this song with a particular race or moment, but it really does just make me go a little faster and smile. Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment